Infographic text included for screen readers:
The Digital Transformation Journey
A guide to navigate the innovation process
The first step on the digital transformation journey is to experience and define the catalyst for change.
- Evolving customer behaviors
8 in 10 customers would pay more for a better customer experience1
- Adjacent market disruption
- Increased competitive pressure
- Emerging technology
72% of business believe Artificial Intelligence (AI) will cause the greatest disruption2
- Other factors
As a result of disruption, what do you need to do?
- Optimize operations and make your workforce more efficient?
- Launch a new product to market?
83% of IT decision makers say increasing IT operational efficiency is a top priority.3
Tip: Put the experience at the forefront of your strategy. Define the experience you are trying to create.
Ideation & development
Adopt a product mentality.
Define product or service > Craft specifications & features > Create a business case > Engage cross-functional leaders
3. Define enablers
What technology innovations will help support this new initiative?
- Conversational agents
- Workforce applications
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) applications
- Structured collaboration tools
- AI and machine learning
- Big data
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) tags
- Augmented Reality (AR)/Virtual Reality (VR)
- Continuous services with a partner
Who will you need to be successful?
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) is often leading digital transformation, closely followed by the CEO. However, true digital transformation success requires enterprise-wide, cross-functional engagement.
“The most critical enabler of successful transformation isn’t date, technology, content or event strategy. The top enabler is related to the people.” –Martha Mathers, Practice Leader, Marketing and Marketing Technology, CEB
4. Define operating model
Key questions to ask:
- How will you monetize the initiative?
- How will you deploy and support it internally?
- Do you have or need a development team?
- Do you need to engage a continuous services model?
Launch > Measure results > Refine
What metrics do you need to measure?
- Operational efficiency (productivity, cash flow, gross margin)
- Market share
- Shareholder value
- Customer satisfaction (Net Promoter Score [NPS], Customer Satisfaction [CSAT])
- Customer engagement
- Employee satisfaction
- Employee engagement
Business performance (sales, revenue, profit)
- Lead generation, customer conversion and/or sales
- Business agility
73% of companies have reported measurable value from big data and AI initatives.2
1 Capgemini. (2017, June 27). The Disconnected Customer: What digital consumer experience leaders teach us about reconnecting with customers.
2 NewVantage Partners LLC. (2018, Jan. 8). Data and Innovation: How Big Data and AI are Driving Business Innovation.
3 MuleSoft. (2018, Feb. 21). MuleSoft Connectivity Benchmark Report.